Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reminding ourselves to have better habits

Samuel Johnson wrote, “Man needs more to be reminded than instructed.” So true.

I find that it's important to maintain constant vigilance when I am developing a new habit. I have tons of information and not always the willingness to use it for my own benefit. Developing willingness comes about internally, but it also is helped when I am constantly surrounded by reinforcing messages that I will benefit from using the information.

For example, as I work to let go of my excess weight, I find it very helpful to be reminded that I can do it, that it will benefit me if I do it, and that there are other people out there doing it, too. So I seek out sites and people that provide those reinforcing reminders. So far it's working and I'm changing my eating habits - putting all that "instruction" to good use, at long last.

No comments: