Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's OK to Learn Something New

"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." Frank Herbert

Permitting ourselves to learn something new is very powerful. What are we naturally drawn to do? When backed up by a powerful "why," that is where we can make the commitment. Then we can tolerate not knowing, doing something badly as we learn it. "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly." That means if something is important to me as a step toward achieving my vision, I might as well go ahead and give it a go and allow myself to do it badly because it's new to me. I don't know how to do this new thing, and the only way I'll learn is by doing it. I don't have to be afraid of doing it badly if I accept that I probably will.

"When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." Audre Lorde

No comments: